Equality & Diversity statement of intent: ‘Student Letting Company is committed to equality and fairness, eliminating all forms of direct or indirect discrimination in its provision and employment, whether based on:
Race, Sexual orientation, culture, lifestyle, ethnic origin, colour, nationality, health diagnosis (HIV and/or other infectious illnesses), gender, gender reassignment, Trade Union Membership, disability, mental Health, religion, political beliefs, marital status (including civil partnerships), age, social status.
We oppose all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination. All employees and tenants, whether part-time, full-time or temporary will be treated fairly and with respect.’
- BOOKING FEE
On making your booking with Student Letting Company (SLC) you will be asked to pay a non-refundable booking fee of £200.00. This is to reserve your room, ensure it is taken off the market and held for you. Once your tenancy commences this booking fee converts to your refundable Deposit. Your Tenancy Agreement is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) and it will be protected in the Deposit Protection Scheme (DPS), an independent government approved tenancy deposit protection scheme. Your Deposit will be refunded to you at the end of your tenancy if there are no outstanding arrears or damage to your room and/or communal areas.
We also charge an administration fee of £50.00 including VAT. This is to cover the cost of the application process and is non refundable.
Once you have made your booking, SLC will confirm your booking in writing. If you have not already done so, you need to click onto the SLC website and read through the sample Tenancy Agreement and Tenant Handbook. You will then be sent over an application form, please ensure all aspects of this form have been completed before submission. (Photo ID must be colour photocopies only)
- 14 -DAY COOLING OFF PERIOD
If you choose to cancel your booking with SLC, you have 14 calendar days after paying the booking fee to ‘change your mind’ and be eligible to receive a 100% refund of the booking fee paid. (Please note this does not include the £50.00 administration fee)
If you have made your booking less than 14 days before your scheduled check-in date, the 14 days will be observed; however, an admin charge of £100 will be incurred.
- CANCELLING YOUR BOOKING
You can cancel your booking, without giving us any reason, by informing the Lettings Team by email, stating your full name and the accommodation address.
Email addresses are found on www.studentlettingco.co.uk or in any correspondence that was sent to you. Or in writing to the Lettings Team, Student Letting Company, 1 Holy Well Close, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B16 8TB.
If you cancel your booking after the 14 calendar days, you will not be eligible to get your booking fee returned to you.
- CONTRACT SIGNING
With all documentation received, your accommodation can be paid for and the contract signed. We accept fees in full, quarterly and in monthly instalments. You will be asked to pay the full years rent up front or your rent in three month instalments throughout the duration of your tenancy should you have an international guarantor.
If you have a UK based guarantor, you are permitted to pay your rent monthly or in quarterly instalments. The first instalment (remainder of deposit)) must be paid 30 days before your tenancy start date. The first rental instalment must be paid on or before the date your contract starts. You will not be able to move into the property if this has not been paid in full.
Subsequent payments are due on the 1st day of the month with a UK guarantor, or in 3-month instalments/ rental payment in full with an international guarantor. In some circumstances, we will accommodate different payment dates, as some student loans come through later, please discuss this with the Lettings team.
- CANCELLATIONS AFTER YOU HAVE MOVED INTO THE ACCOMMODATION
We hope you have a happy stay in your accommodation, but if for any reason you decide to leave during your contracted term, the landlord may agree to release you from your contract. Providing the conditions set out below are met:
- You agree that you will not transfer or sublet the tenancy created by the Tenancy Agreement to anyone else without obtaining our written consent in-line with point 18 of the Tenancy Agreement (General Lettings Provision).
- You find a suitable replacement to take a new tenancy agreement for your room for the remaining period of your contract.
- Replacement tenants must be 18 years old or over and enrolled as a full-time student in a University or College in proximity to the accommodation.
- The incoming tenant must complete the application process and enter into a Tenancy Agreement with us and pay sums due within this agreement.
- The incoming tenant, where reasonable, must provide a suitable Guarantor. The Guarantor must accept the Terms and Conditions set out in the Tenancy Agreement.
- Refunds due will not be processed until the replacement taking over the contract has signed the Tenancy Agreement paid and moved into the accommodation.
- If you do find someone to take over your contract, you will both need to pay a £50 administration fee.
If you fail to find someone to take over your tenancy, you and your guarantor will be required to meet the financial obligations set out within the Tenancy Agreement.
- CANCELLATIONS BY SLC OR THE LANDLORD
Our terms and conditions require you to sign your Tenancy Agreement within 30 calendar days of receiving the booking fee. If you are unable to visit the office, within reason, the contract can be signed electronically. If you fail to sign your agreement within this timescale, we may cancel your booking, giving notice by email, and you will forfeit any booking fee paid if it is outside the 14 calendar day cooling off period.
If you fail to check-in on your accommodation start date and you have not signed your agreement, we may cancel your booking at any time by giving notice by email. If you are outside the 14 day cooling off period your booking fee will not be refunded. Once you have signed your Tenancy Agreement it may only be terminated if we mutually agree to do so or in the circumstances set out in points 6 and 8.
- EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES
You may be eligible to be released from your agreement under exceptional circumstances, this is subject to discretion of landlords decisions:
- If you are a first-year prospective undergraduate student and your offer of a place at your preferred University/Higher Education institution is withdrawn as a result of you not achieving the required entry grades. (In order to meet the criteria, you will need to provide a written rejection letter from your chosen University/Higher Education Institute)
- If you contract an illness or condition that would incapacitate you from being able to continue your studies (In order to meet the criteria, you will need to provide a written letter from your University/ Higher Education Institute to confirm your withdrawal)
- In the event of Death (A copy of the Death Certificate will be required)
- BUILD DELAYS/ REFURBISHMENTS
If you reserve accommodation in a building that is being built or undergoing refurbishment and delays occur, you will be informed at all stages.
If necessary, you will be offered alternative housing close by if delays threaten to impact your ‘check-in date’. You will be offered accommodation of equal quality and price.
- RIGHT TO APPEAL
In accordance with our Dispute & Complaints Resolution Procedure, you have the right to appeal and can escalate a decision that you feel is incorrect or unfairly discriminates against you. We are committed to the ANUK National Code’s standards and you should put your complaint into writing within 28 calendar days of the decision to: DIRECTORS, Student Letting Company, 1 Holy Well Close, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B16 8TB for an independent review.
If any dispute or complaint is not completely resolved the matter can be forwarded to the National Code Tribunal where all decisions are recognised and final.