Out-of-hours Emergency - Call 07468 424 307


 Student Housing Birmingham – Frequently Asked Questions

The Student Letting Company are happy to answer any questions you have regarding student accommodation in the birmingham area.

 Q. Do I have to fill in any forms?

A. Yes, we have an application form which all tenants must fill out.

Q. What do I have to pay to reserve a property?

A. Student Letting Company take a small holding deposit in order to secure the property for you and to take it off the rental market

 Q. Am I committed to pay rent for a fixed term?

A. Yes, depending on the length of the tenancy you sign, you are legally required to pay the rent until the contract ends.

 Q. What does ‘jointly and severally’ liable mean?

A. Where there is more than one tenant signing an agreement, all tenants are ‘jointly and severally’ liable. This means that each tenant can be held responsible for the agreement and paying of rent and not just a share of it. Be sure about the people that you agree to share with as if they fail to pay the rent, you can also be held liable.

 Q. Who will maintain/manage the property after I/we have moved in?

A. It will either be the landlord or the Student Letting Company. If it is the landlord then you will need to contact him directly if there are any repairs required. If it is the Student Letting Company, then once you have contacted us, we will advise the landlord and arrange the necessary maintenance etc.

 Q. Who will pay for the Utilities, Services and TV Licence?

A. We offer an all inclusive package which includes: fair usage of gas, electricity, and water, a TV for the communal area along with TV license and wireless broadband. There will be no Council Tax charge where full time students ONLY occupy a house. There are specific rules governing who is classed as a full-time student and tenants are advised to check this before choosing who to live with.

 Q. Do students pay Council Tax?

No. It is very important that you complete a council tax exemption form which you can do online. You will need your exemtion certificate from your faculty. Failure to complete this form will result in the council invoicing you for full caouncil tax payment.

 Q. Will my belongings be covered by the Landlord’s insurance?

A. No, tenants must take out insurance for their own belongings.

 Q. What happen if I sign up for a property with some friends, but decide not to move?

A. Once you sign the tenancy agreement, you are legally committed to the term of the agreement. So it is vital that you are absolutely sure that you want to move into the property. If you do decide not to move in, then you would need to find a suitable replacement tenant to take your place. Keep us informed of all developments.

 Q. I’m struggling to pay my rent. What should I do?

A. You must discuss your difficulty with us. We can normally find an amicable solution for you. If you would like independent advice on finance or any difficulties you can also contact the Students’ Union Advice Centre

 Q. If I am travelling home late at night, how late does public transport run until?

A. Please refer to our ‘useful information’ for contact details for buses, trains and taxis.

 Q. I have a spare room. How do I find a new housemate?

A. Refer to the Students’ Union’s Advice Page where you’ll find useful websites and services to help you find a housemate.

 Q. I am looking for a spare room in an existing student house to rent. Where can I look?

A. Refer to the Students’ Union’s Advice Page where you’ll find useful websites and services to help you find a spare room.



We use cookies to give you the best online experience. By agreeing you accept the use of cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

I accept I decline